10.01.2009

Inspiration: Her Ambition by Harry Linnell

Found this illustration by Harry Linnell in a book from 1908.. called "Caricature: The wit & humor of a nation in picture, song & story"

The text reads:
Mater: "Well, Effie, what are you going to be when you are grown up?"
Effie: "If I was a boy, I'd be president, but seeing I'm a girl, I guess being a rich widow is as good as anything."

Wow.. the colors and line quality are fantastic on this. And I gotta love the attitude on the pose of the little girl. The boy in the background seems to be busy tying the girls dolls onto the tracks of his train set. He also has a string tied to his finger?

Theres plenty more inspiration in this book.. you can expect to see more from this book in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Well, his actions explain the girl's attitude. He can grow up to be president, and she can't? That "rich widow" comment gives the whole scenario a biting irony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to figure out why he had a string tied to his finger.. but looking at it again.. I think it might be the string that he is using to tie the dolls to the track. He is just holding it.

    ReplyDelete